bug in noncollinear case optics calculation

Questions regarding the compilation of VASP on various platforms: hardware, compilers and libraries, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

oamnehc
License Nr.: 5-269

bug in noncollinear case optics calculation

#1 Post by oamnehc » Wed May 25, 2011 3:39 am

(1)
The noncollinear cases are assigned ISPIN=1, although spinor is actually used for the wavefunctions. This is fine until I need to do optics calculation. The NBVAL is incorrectly teated

NBVAL=(NINT(INFO%NELECT)+1)/2

(BTW, this might not be the only line that causes the trouble.) Therefore the band counting (NBVAL, NBCON) is messed up. For a noncollinear case, it ought to be

NBVAL = INFO%NELECT or NINT(INFO%NELECT)

A simple test, which I did, on a simple insulator rocksalt LiF, using both LDA and noncollinearLDA can demonstrate this point. LiF has a gap. NELECT = 10, with LDA LiF has NBVAL = 5, but with noncollinearLDA NBVAL = 10. If with noncollinear LDA NBVAL is taken to be 5, guess what happens to the dielectric function.

(2)
Using vasp.5.2.2, somtimes the OPTIC output file is printed, sometimes not (even using the same input files). Using vasp.5.2.11, I've never gotten the OPTIC
output, only the dielectric function in OUTCAR. I wonder why.
Last edited by oamnehc on Wed May 25, 2011 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: bug in noncollinear case optics calculation

#2 Post by support_vasp » Wed Sep 04, 2024 12:32 pm

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP