Makefile updates

Problems running VASP: crashes, internal errors, "wrong" results.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

ikir
License Nr.: 5-684

Makefile updates

#1 Post by ikir » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:09 pm

I notice that some work has gone into updating the makefile.linux_ifc_P4 file, such that it should now work 'out of the box' on a few more systems. (Assuming you want a serial build with the included FFT library.) However, I would like to request a few more improvements in the same vein:

1) It would be nice if vasp.5.lib could receive a little similar attention: I note in particular that the makefile.linux_ifc_P4 makefile still has the Fortran compiler set as 'ifc'.

2) I assume at some point, the non-standard compilation lines should also be updated to use -names lowercase rather than -lowercase, as the standard one has.

3) As far as I know, libguide is no longer included with the Intel composer+MKL package. I'm happy to be corrected on this, but otherwise, it may be worth preparing for its removal.

4) There are a number of places in the makefiles where library paths are still hard-coded, for example for GotoBLAS and FFTW. Replacing, for example:

Code: Select all

FFT3D?=?fftw3d.o?fft3dlib.o?/opt/libs/fftw-3.1.2/lib/libfftw3.a
with something like:

Code: Select all

USE_FFTW_DIR?=?/opt/libs/fftw-3.1.2/lib
FFT3D?=?fftw3d.o?fft3dlib.o?$(USE_FFTW_DIR)/libfftw3.a
would make it easier for people to simply specify alternative library paths on the make command line, rather than having to scatter edits throughout the makefile. I note that it is usual for FFTW in particular to be configured to set environment variables specifying the paths to its files, in particular FFTWDIR and FFTWINCLUDE.

In any case, thank you for the changes already made.
Last edited by ikir on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Makefile updates

#2 Post by support_vasp » Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:25 pm

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP