Berry Phase: Calculate the Polarization from "Born effective charge" or "Total dipole moment"?

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

tilak

Berry Phase: Calculate the Polarization from "Born effective charge" or "Total dipole moment"?

#1 Post by tilak » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:59 pm

Dear VASP users and Experts,

Once, after Berry Phase type calculation in VASP 5.2, I have got "Total Dipole Moment" of the system in "elec-Angs" unit. (Only c-axis parallel is interested for the moment.)

The first question to be asked: Do I need to divide this quantity with the number of ions (say, B) those are displaced along c-axis? (Because, I had to use 2x2x2 supercell to get insulating C-AFM ground state model based on spin-arrangement of B sites, using GGA.)

Second question: In my point, to get the "Polarization" value, I do divide the "Total Dipole Moment" by "Cell Volume" and multiply "One Electronic Charge" i.e. 1.6x10^(-19)C, and get "Polarization" in "μC/cm^2" unit. Do you think it is okay? OR........

I should divide the "Born Effective Charge" by "Area" perpendicular to the c-axis and so on maths for unit change into "μC/cm^2" ? (In my case it should be ab-plane.)

Thank you very much for your comments,
Tilak
<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>
Last edited by tilak on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Berry Phase: Calculate the Polarization from "Born effective charge" or "Total dipole moment"?

#2 Post by support_vasp » Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:02 am

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP