question on VASP manual -- simulated annealing

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

ericsun

question on VASP manual -- simulated annealing

#1 Post by ericsun » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:32 am

Hi VASP masters and users,

I'm trying to use the simulated annealing (SA) method to get the ground state geometry. I feel the instruction in the VASP manual on this method not quite clear to me, particularly, the sentence below:
"The temperature should be decreased only slowly. This can be done by decreasing the temperature (TEBEG) in the INCAR file and using the Nose thermostat."

My understanding is that SA calculation should include two steps. In the first step, increase the temperature from, say, 0K to a desired temperature (e.g., above melting temperature by 50K). In the second step, decrease the temperature slowly to 0K. I guess, the sentence quoted above is talking about the second step. If so, TEBEG in the second step can't be freely tuned, right? To slowly decrease the temperature, I thought NSW should be increased, while TEBEG should be fixed.

I think there might be some key physics that I didn't understand. Please correct me. A lot of thanks!
Last edited by ericsun on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: question on VASP manual -- simulated annealing

#2 Post by support_vasp » Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:01 am

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP