Im(eps) not zero for energies < band gap

Problems running VASP: crashes, internal errors, "wrong" results.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

rsaniz

Im(eps) not zero for energies < band gap

#1 Post by rsaniz » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:57 pm

Dear VASP support team,

Analyzing the result of the calculation of the dielectric function of a semiconductor (LOPTICS = .True.), I found that the imaginary part [Im(eps)] in not zero even at energies well below the band gap value. In fact, the imaginary part departs from zero as soon as the energy is > 0. This is, of course, unphysical, and can lead to erroneous results for quantities depending on the dielectric function. I found the inaccuracy both with PBE and HSE06.

The problem greatly reduced if one uses a CSHIFT much smaller than the default one, e.g., CSHIFT=0.01, instead of CSHIFT=0.1. I ran a test using a 21x21x21 k-point mesh using VASP version 5.4.4 (PBE calculation), comparing the result with both CSHIFTs. But the imaginary part of the dielectric function for CSHIFT=0.01, although small, is still not zero at energies > 0 below the band gap value. Also, the curve for CSHIFT=0.01 is not ideal, as it is jagged. In principle a higher density k-point mesh should solve this. However, performing a HSE06 calculation over such dense k-point meshes becomes computationally prohibitive, specially for systems such as the present one. This is unfortunate, because for a semiconductor one would like to use HSE06. I wonder how the calculations can be improved having hybrid functionals in mind.

The SCF calculation was done with the following INCAR and KPOINTS files:
INCAR
SYSTEM = Pb2SnSbO6.5
ENCUT = 450
PREC = Normal
ISMEAR = 0
SIGMA = 0.01
LREAL = Auto
EDIFF = 1.E-05
NSIM = 4
NBANDS = 120
NPAR = 120
KPAR = 2
LMAXMIX = 4

KPOINTS
Pb2SnSbO6.5
0 ! automatically generate k-points
Gamma !To generate k points via MP method
4 4 4 !the number of divisions along basic vector
0. 0. 0. !the shift

The dielectric function calculation was done with the following INCAR and KPOINTS files:
INCAR
SYSTEM = Pb2SnSbO6.5
ENCUT = 450
PREC = Normal
ISMEAR = 0
SIGMA = 0.01
LREAL = Auto
EDIFF = 1.E-08
NSIM = 4
NBANDS = 240
NPAR = 120
KPAR = 2
LMAXMIX = 4
LOPTICS = .TRUE.
CSHIFT = 0.01
NEDOS = 10000

KPOINTS
Pb2SnSbO6.5
0 ! automatically generate k-points
Gamma !To generate k points via MP method
21 21 21 !the number of divisions along basic vector
0. 0. 0. !the shift

The POTCARs used for the metals included the d electrons.

Best regards,
Rolando Saniz

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Im(eps) not zero for energies < band gap

#2 Post by support_vasp » Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:46 pm

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP