Time reserval symmetry

Problems running VASP: crashes, internal errors, "wrong" results.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

iphyboy

Time reserval symmetry

#1 Post by iphyboy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:32 pm

Dear all,

I am doing a calculation with spin-orbit interaction of Bi thin film on a hexagonal substrate. I follow exactly as what the manual instructs about LSORBIT. I put ISYM=0. This system has no net magnetization after convergence. In principle for a system without magnetization, time reversal symmetry must exist. This means when we investigate two time-reversal states(k,-k) the three(xyz) spin-moments should be of opposite signs and of the same magnetitude. However, when I read the data of spin momnets from PROCAR for k and -k, it's not this case. When I do the band structure of x direction, only the y spin component is reversed, the other two(xz) still have the same sign for k and -k states.

My INCAR for self-consistent calculation is :
NELMIN = 4
ENCUT = 600
ISTART = 0
ALGO = Veryfast
EDIFF = 1E-05
ISMEAR = -5
ISYM = 0
MAGMOM = 96*0
LSORBIT = .TRUE.
LMAXMIX = 4
GGA_COMPAT = .FALSE.
PREC = High
LORBIT = 11
AMIX = 0.2

For the band structure calculation I use (Kmax, 0, 0) to (-Kmax,0,0) to make sure I have (k,-k) pairs.

THanks so much,
Wenmei
Last edited by iphyboy on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Time reserval symmetry

#2 Post by support_vasp » Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:17 pm

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP