NEB calculation

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

Mahesh_chandran

NEB calculation

#1 Post by Mahesh_chandran » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:19 am

Dear All,
I am trying to calculate the migration energy for an atom to move into a vacant site using NEB. Which of the following gives the physically correct minimum energy parth, and hence the migration energy:
(1) Moving only that particular atom and freezing the rest using "selected dynamics"
(2) Relaxing all the atoms (keeping ISIF=2).

Regards
MC
Last edited by Mahesh_chandran on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Administrator
Administrator
License Nr.: 458

NEB calculation

#2 Post by admin » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:56 am

all atoms should be relaxed (do not set 'selective dynamics' in POSCAR). Please also interpolate the positions of all atoms in the starting guesses of the POSCARs you give in the respective subdirectories to achieve better convergence.
Last edited by admin on Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mahesh_chandran

NEB calculation

#3 Post by Mahesh_chandran » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:25 am

The calculation with all atoms allowed to relax does not converge (the initial guesses were the interpolated images between the end points). I used IBRION=1 and POTIM=0.2.
I also tried another route: first ran the calculation with only the target atom relaxing and freezing the rest using "selective dynamics". The converged minimum energy path was then used as starting guess for relaxing all atoms. Even this calculation does not converge. I find that the crystal structure is significantly distorted if all atoms are allowed to relax.

Will freezing certain degrees of freedom of some atoms help in convergence? Or is there any alternate way to get faster convergence.

Rgards
MC
Last edited by Mahesh_chandran on Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

tjf

NEB calculation

#4 Post by tjf » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:44 am

What do you mean "does not converge"? Are your energies oscillating or what?
Last edited by tjf on Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Administrator
Administrator

NEB calculation

#5 Post by admin » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:03 pm

1) please make sure that the geometries of initial and final state were fully converged.
2) please check if the ionic steps themselves are electronically converged or if the ionic step simply finished after NELM electronic steps without having reached convergence.
3) the cell shape and volume have to be kept constant in a NEB calculation
4) setting 'selective dynamics' is counter-acting the NEB relaxation constrictions when you set it in the NEB - run.
Last edited by admin on Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

des
License Nr.: 357

NEB calculation

#6 Post by des » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:30 pm

Dear Admin,
I have question about NEB ‘selective dynamics' in POSCAR. You said we don't have to use it in the POSCAR files. But I have seen from some people on surface calculations, they have used this parameter to fix at least one or two or more atomic layers and I use this method in my simulation. Now I am confused about it. I am now wondering which method I have to use. Which method do you recommend it?
I thank you
Last edited by des on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

des
License Nr.: 357

NEB calculation

#7 Post by des » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:30 pm

Dear Admin,
<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Sun Jul 09 2006, 11:32PM ]</span>
Last edited by des on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mahesh_chandran

NEB calculation

#8 Post by Mahesh_chandran » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:34 am

I finally finished the NEB calculation. I first started with 5 images and got convergence with full relaxation of atoms (ISIF=2). Latter added intermediate images to improve the minimum energy path (MEP).

Regards
Mahesh

PS: I agree with des that some people do fix one, more or all atoms in the NEB calculations.
Last edited by Mahesh_chandran on Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

lanjh

NEB calculation

#9 Post by lanjh » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:04 am

I am confronted with the question, too. We just want to investigate the surface migration. But the crystal structure is significantly distorted if all atoms are allowed to relax. Is this reasonal ?
Last edited by lanjh on Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Administrator
Administrator

NEB calculation

#10 Post by admin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:25 am

If you calculate the equilibrium structures of the final and initial state of your reaction path (the scf-calculations of the end-points), you can of course choose 'selective dynamics' to keep the positions of some of the atoms frozen.
For the NEB method, the method itself restricts the relaxation of the atoms, because the spring force is decoupled from the relaxation of the images perpendiculaar to the path (please read some literature on the NEB method). It is therefrore not reasonable to give additional restrictions in POSCAR.
Last edited by admin on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

tjf

NEB calculation

#11 Post by tjf » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:45 am

It seems to me to be entirely appropriate to freeze certain atoms in certain situations. For example, when looking at adsorbate behaviour on a metal surface, to reduce truncation effects in the rigidity of your surface.

Let the chemistry guide you, and be aware of the approximations you're applying!
Last edited by tjf on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.